1. What was your life like prior to your CrossFit training and why did you want to start working with a coach?
Fat, sick, and nearly dead describes it best.
My wife, Wendy, signed me up for the evolution class and then prepaid my membership. She knew that I hate wasting money and I would be forced to go. I always felt it wasn’t necessary to join a gym and I could do it on my own; but in reality I never found the time to do so. Both the energetic coaching and rewarding workouts really hit home and after the first month I couldn’t imagine how I would ever stop coming.
2. What have been your greatest challenges (physically, mentally, and emotionally) since you began your CrossFit Training?
Getting out of bed for the 5:30 AM class is the biggest challenge. Overall I was ready for the change. I really started to trim up when I went on the Paleo diet after hearing about it at the box. Between the two I felt as if I had been lifted out of a fog. I have more energy, my gut feels better, and I’ve finally made the connection between food, exercise, and my well-being that makes the challenge of “showing up” easy to overcome.
3. What have been your greatest successes (physically, mentally or emotionally) since you began? How does your body feel now compared to when you started and WHY?
At my annual physical in December, about six months after starting both CrossFit training and the Paleo diet my doctor was amazed at the improvements in my health. My greatest achievement is to now have a regular exercise as a part of my life.
4. How has your life changed since starting CrossFit training? Has CrossFit transferred over into any other areas of your life?
I am stronger, have lost 20 pounds, and feel in control of my diet and fitness. My professional colleagues, family and friends have recognized these changes; adding a positive dimension to our relationship.
5. What are the advantages of CrossFit style training compared to your previous workout styles?
The varied workout coupled with active coaching in a group class is a potent mix. I never get bored with the workout and always feel inspired by my classmates. I am extremely well supported by the coaching staff. The individuals in the class allow me to enjoy a shared experience that I could not appreciate individually.
6. What advice can you give to others?
Try to go at least four times a week; just showing up is all it takes to be successful.
7. Any other details you would like to share about your experience?
The community at CrossFit Julia seems to idealize everything I have read and heard about this fitness movement. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to be a member.