-This week mobility is all about working with the lower back. The lower back is also associated with the pelvis, so you will see a few exercises related to that as well. Listen to your body and hit these 3-5 times this week.
1. Foam Roll the entire Back
-Start by placing the roller horizontally under your back. Roll up and down for 2 minutes going from your pelvis all the way up to your neck.
2. Psoas and Hip Flexor Stretch with Roller
-Keep your extended foot on the ground, abs engaged, shoulder blades on the floor. If you can’t grab your knee without maintaining those positions, put a band around your knee and grab the band.
3. Standing Psoas Stretch
-Step out into a long lunge position. Make sure your front shin is perpendicular to the floor and you are getting a slight stretch through the back leg/hip. Twist over your front knee (away from the extended leg) and try to reach back towards the extended foot. Make sure that your abs are engaged and only twist as far as your body will allow. Hold for 30 seconds on each side. Repeat 3x each side.
4. Spinal twist
– Repeat on both sides, Hold for 1 minute each side. Twists are good for removing toxins from the body.
5. Quadratus Lumborum Stretch
-This is generally very tight on CrossFitters because we use it a lot for midline stability. Start sitting in a straddle position with torso upright. Put one arm on the inside of your leg. Twist so that your shoulders remain lined up (do not let one shoulder be in front of the other one). Reach the opposite arm over your head. You should feel this stretch in the area just above your pelvis and below your rib cage on the side/back of your body. If you don’t, your shoulders are probably not aligned properly. Hold for 2 minutes on each side. Remember to breathe and come out of it slowly.
6. IT Band and Hips
– Start in the position of the man in the picture. Goal is to have knees directly one on top of the other. Do your best. Once in this position or as close as you can get to it, bend forward from the hips. Switch which leg is on top and do it again. Hold each side for 2 minutes.